A lovely on the spur lunch when you have no time or even a different way to use up left over hummus. This vegan baguette is delciously healthy and tasty too. I bought some marinated olives from the supermarket but you can use any type of seedless olive. INGREDIENTS FOR 1
1 small baguette, halved
1-2 tablespoons of hummus (see my hummus recipe)
a few marinated olives or ordinary olives
a little lettuce and chopped spring onion
a little chilli sauce if you want
Spread the baguette halves with hummus and place the marinated olives on one side with the lettuce and spring onions. I tossed the lettuce and onions with a bit of the marinated olive liquid and left it for fives minutes before putting it into the baguette. Add some chilli sauce and cover with the other baguette.
Health benefits of olives :
- Protect the heart against diseases. Antioxidants and the “good fat” eradicate the free radicals that are responsible in oxidizing cholesterol.
- Protect cells from free radicals. Vitamin E together with the monounsaturated fat protects cells and fights off free radicals produced during cellular energy production.
- Reduce inflammation due to arthritis. Both green and black olives contain polyphenols and flavonoids that have anti-inflammatory properties. These can help in lowering the inflammation caused by arthritis.
- Prevent colon cancer. Again, the combination of monounsaturated fat and Vitamin E is make it a great health benefit. High intake of these nutrients lowers the risk for colon cancer.
- Helps women going through menopause Olives can help reduce the intensity and frequency of hot flashes menopausal women experience.
“Good things come in small packages.”
- This definitely holds true for olives. Who would have thought that these little bulbous green and black colored fruits hold so much goodness within?
Green and black olives
- are not only loved for their unique flavor but they are also hailed as one of today’s most celebrated health foods.
For Jain recipes : omit garlic in the hummus and onions in the baguette and for vegans please omit the yogurt in the hummus recipes
Madre del amor hermosos, vaya bocata bueno y sano.
Reme…hahaha gracias 🙂