We all need to add a little “saffron” in our diets for all the good that it does for us healthwise. Many of us probably have some saffron lying at home in some corner and don´t know what to do with it. Well… if you are looking for recipes using saffron apart from the regular desi sweets, cakes, paella etc, i do have some very different recipes using this “golden spice” on the blog. There are a lot of myths about saffron the spice: that it costs the earth…well it does not and a box of 1 gram can last you over a month! Yes there are qualities of saffron and if the one you are using is not pure then you might have to keep on adding more and more! Todays recipe does not have an overbearing or overpowering saffron flavour…it is just a touch …for a different flavour and also for the health factor 🙂
INGREDIENTS FOR 2:
4 chicken legs and thighs, skin removed and cut into 2
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
1 ripe red tomato , grated
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon of a good home made garam masala (to see my recipe click here)
1 tablespoon each of ground coriander and cumin powder
1 pinch of Nitu Didi pure spanish saffron
1 pinch of Nitu Didi turmeric powder
1/2 cup of coriander leaves chopped
green chillies chopped to taste
4 tablespoons of cooking oil
1 teaspoon salt.
1 cup of a good quality basmati rice, washed and soaked
1. Wash and soak the basmati rice in plenty of water
2. Heat the oil in a good quality frying pan and add the onions, bay leaf and ginger garlic paste with 1 teaspoon salt.
3. Cook till soft.
4. Add the chicken and cook covered till the chicken releases all its juices and starts to brown a bit.
5. Add all the spices and cook.
6. Add the chopped tomato and cook till tomatoes soften.
7. Add the saffron , green chillies and coriander leaves.
8. Now the chicken should be cooked, please check with the fork, the flesh should be white from inside, if not add some water and cook till the chicken is cooked.
9. Add the drained basmati rice and 1.5 cups of water. Let it come to a boil and taste and correct the seasoning.
10. Let the rice cook in this stock till done and dry.
11. Serve hot with a few saffron strands as garnish if you like….
NITU DIDI TIP.
This recipe can be also made with mixed vegetables and meat. Meat might need a longer cooking time.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF A GOOD QUALITY PURE SAFFRON:
Saffron contains many plants derived chemical compounds that are known to have been anti-oxidant, disease preventing and health promoting properties. it is also rich in many vital vitamins, including vitamin A, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin-C that is essential for optimum health.
HOW TO STORE SAFFRON:
Everyone will have something to say about how they store their saffron. I just store mine in the plastic box which it comes in , in the fridge. I do not soak it in hot water before using it. I just crush it slightly between my fingers or in the palm of my hand and add it to my food.
To buy Nitu Didi pure spanish saffron please go to my online store